A galvanized steel has a protective zinc coating. Such zinc coating has a lot of advantages and benefits of other processes used to give protection to steel. The galvanized coating improves the quality and durability of steel fittings, pipes, and other structures. Written below are some the advantages and benefits of the galvanization process:
1. Low Cost: The galvanizing process usually costs less compared to other coating methods for steel, it is because other methods are often labour intensive and the cost of labour is consistently increasing. The process of galvanizing requires less manual labour, therefore it’s not impacted by the increase of cost.
2. Long Life: This is the number one benefit of hot dip galvanizing. Galvanized steel fittings, pipes, and other structures will last for more than 50 years in many rural areas, and more than 25 years in urban areas and in coastal environments.
3. Toughness: The galvanized coating’s unique metallurgical composition makes it rugged and therefore capable of enduring damage during assembly, transport, and service.
4. Low Maintenance Cost: Because galvanized steel is rugged and has a long life, lesser effort is required to maintain it. This is very beneficial for structures in remote areas that will be costly to reach and service.
5. Standardization: Hot-dip galvanizing is normally standardized so every steel product meets specific standards. This will allow for precise prediction of the performance and lifespan of galvanized steel fittings, pipes, and other steel products.
6. Automatic Protection For Damaged Areas: Because of the sacrificial protection of the zinc coating, even the small areas which were damaged and therefore exposed and vulnerable to oxidation is protected.
Other coatings for steel like paint are not able to provide the same kind or protection, making exposed areas vulnerable to deterioration unless they are coated again.
7. 360-Degree Protection: The method of galvanization could protect each part of a certain steel product — every corner, recess, nook, or cranny. This total protection can’t be provided by other types of steel coatings.
8. Easy Inspection: Inspecting galvanized steel products is very simple. Zinc coatings could be checked visually and the thickness could be tested with simple, non-destructive process. If the coating looks intact, it is intact.
9. Fast Assembly. Once galvanized steel products are manufactured, they are ready to be used. There is no need to prepare, inspect or paint the surface of the coating. After the structure has been erected, you could immediately move on to the next stage.